August 7, 2009


My life in pictures.....

First up, we have my sister Yolanda or "Yoli". I've always wanted a sister and I got pretty lucky with her. Then we move on to the brother, Humberto. I don't think I've ever seen him without a smile on his face. And he's been sick recently! (no worries...it's not the swine flu). With him is the family treasure, Coqueta. She kind of runs things around here. Next up are the parents. The dad is a retired math teacher, but he still works. He spends weeks at a time out in the coffee fields (about 1-1.5hr away from home). He was here for my first 3 days and he was here for this past weekend, but that's all. When he is home, he loves to practice his English. It's pretty random. Like his new phrase he was so excited he learned was "All you can eat". I guess he saw it on a sign somewhere. And then he told me something was "free" and he later realized the word "freeway" was similar. Don't ask. It's very random. My Spanish is just the same though! haha

I've made some pretty amazing friends. There are about 14 of us in the group going to Universidad Nacional. Everyone is very nice and we have been planning lots of excursions together. Nothing like having to survive in a foreign country to bring people together. Meghan (girl in the pic) is actually from the Indianapolis area. We met up a few times before we came here and ended up flying into Liberia together. She's so much fun to be around! Never a dull moment.

The 2 girls in the other pic are Liz and Sarah. Liz and I actually go to Butler together and were friends before coming. We didn't plan on coming together, but then things happened with her first choice program and she ended up here. Sarah is from Alabama and goes to school in D.C. She is one of the nicest girls around. These are just a few of the people on the trip. It's been great getting to know everyone. We all come from different parts and backgrounds, but we have at least one thing in common--Costa Rica.

No comments: